Monday, April 8, 2013

Food Challenge #2

Before I introduce my newest food challenge, for the month of April, I have to admit that I failed miserably on March's challenge.  It was to avoid refined sweeteners of all types.  Having a weekend conference away, an out of town family visit, family birthday and Easter meant I made a lot of exceptions.

It's easy for me to be negative about my own progress.  However, when I'm truly honest about it, if I compare this past month with any other month in my life prior to beginning my journey to better eating, it was fantastic!  I used to eat sugar on at least a daily basis.  And I COULD NOT pass it up.  Anywhere I happened to be when treats were served, I had to have some: Bible Study, Sunday School, playdates, kids' parties.  Even when I met a friend for coffee, I always got a treat to go with it.  With my first pregnancy, I drove by Dunkin Donuts on the way home from the midwife and I would go through the drive through for 2 donuts after every single appointment!  Food was used as a reward and as a "treat" far too often in our home.  So just the fact that we made a few exceptions rather than a lifestyle of junk food means my progress is HUGE.  And the fact that they were mindful - I didn't just indulge because sweets were there - I made a choice, realizing that it was a compromise.  And that is progress in my book :)

So, only about a week late, here is my challenge for April.  I'll be transparent again and say that this one is actually one of the easiest changes I've made.  However, it's also one of the ones with remarkable results. So...

April's challenge is to eat only 100% whole grains!  This is very tricky is you are shopping for breads, crackers or other prepared foods.  Many packages say things like "contains whole grains" or "wheat bread."  This usually means it's NOT 100% whole grain.  Wheat flour = white flour.  If you are looking at an ingredient list, every type of grain or flour should say "whole wheat" or "whole grain."  Or, in the case of rice, brown rice.

We've found a couple (literally, two) brands of bread sold locally that use only 100% whole grains.  They are pricey!  But they are also much more filling than other breads!  Switching to brown rice and whole grain pasta wasn't a big deal for us.  Really, other than slightly altering what we bought in the store and changing out the white flour I bake with, this one didn't make our life much more difficult.  But the results have been amazing.  Before we made the whole grain change (and cut out sugar), I had kids who had been on Miralax for constipation daily for YEARS.  Yes, years.  At least 3 years.  They haven't used it at all since we cut out the processed grains!  No more constipation, no more tummy aches.  Amazing!

If you eat out often, this one will be a little trickier since I haven't yet found a restaurant that actually uses 100% whole grains in their baked goods.  Even places that use locally sourced, organic real foods still use some white flour.  I found a lovely baker at the farmer's market who sold a delicious looking loaf of "whole wheat bread."  When I asked if it was only whole wheat, they told me they used about 2% white flour.  What??  Why?  I have no idea.  Especially when fresh, whole grains taste SO good!

We've recently begun freshly grinding our own wheat just before we bake anything and it is absolutely delicious.  I won't ask you all to join me in that as part of the challenge :)  But I will say that it's shockingly easy and quick.  It takes me 2 minutes to grind 4 cups of wheat.  Then I just put the fresh flour into whatever I'm making!

Baking bread from scratch is also super easy.  I use my bread machine to make the dough, then I dump in into a couple of bread pans or form it into little rolls and bake.  Really, the hands-on time is probably 10 minutes.

Here is the basic bread recipe I use.  And it could easily be made in an electric mixer or by hand if you don't have a bread maker.  It would just require a bit more time:

1.5 C water
1/3 C oil (I use olive)
A squirt of local honey
2t sea salt
1 egg
1T vital wheat gluten (optional)
4-4.5 C fresh ground flour (decrease slightly if using purchased flour)
1T yeast

Dump it all in the breadmaker and set it to "dough."  When the machine is done, take the dough out and either form it into rolls or split it into two greased bread pans.  Then set the pans on the counter covered with a dish towel until the dough doubles.  When it's doubled, bake on 350 for 20-25 minutes for rolls or 25-30 minutes for leaves.

I sometimes add italian seasoning and garlic powder for an italian bread.  Or a stretch the dough out into a rectangle and sprinkle on a little cinnamon, maple syrup and raisins before I roll it up and put it in the pan.  Super easy and yummy cinnamon raisin bread :)

For other baking, I've found it's easy to just swap out whole wheat flour for white in quickbread recipes.  Especially if using fresh ground or "white whole wheat" from the store.  Yeast breads are much trickier and it's best to find a recipe that was actually written for whole wheat flour.

Try to experiment with other types of whole grains, both for flours and for eating.  Quinoa, brown rice and oatmeal are all whole grains that are delicious cooked and eaten plain or in recipes.  For flours, try spelt, oat or brown rice.  Or even grain free flours, like coconut or almond flour.

Enjoy eating whole grains this month and let me know if there are any recipes you are looking for.  I'd love to share more of the ones I use!

No comments:

Post a Comment